There’s many parents of young children could disagree on – bedtime, screen time, … -, but when it comes down to dinner time, I guess most will support the idea that if there’s one safe bet, it’s probably pasta. Now the possibilities here are endless, but there are some pasta dishes which over time have become crowd pleasers in our home. Such as pasta with zucchini and peas. Although in the case of this particular pasta dish, referring to “crowd ” is allowing myself a few liberties with the truth. My daughter has coined this her favourite dish, whereas my son each time exlaims in horror that he hates zucchini. But as in all democracies, the minority sometimes has to rest its case and clear its plate (which the minority actually without hardly any exception does, even when zucchini is involved). So once in a while, pasta with zucchini it is.
Pasta with zucchini and peas.
- 350g pasta of your choice (but of course you know best how much pasta your family eats)
- optional: 1 package smoked tofu or 1 package chicken-style pieces (I use the one from the vegetarian butcher, as pictured below) – about 200g
- 1 – 1,5 zucchini (depends on its size)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 portioned ‘nuggets’ of finely chopped frozen kale or spinach (or the fresh equivalent, about 1 cup finely chopped)
- 250 ml plant-based cream (my all time favourite is Planti’s (formerly known as Carlshamn’s) oat cream – but that’s unfortunately not available in Belgium. so here I stick to alpro (grudgingly so, especially since the company recently was taken over by Danone). Oatly’s oat creamer I find too thin for the purpose; unless some cornstarch is mixed in.)
- black pepper, salt and herbes de Provence to taste
- optional: some grated vegan Parmesan
- Bring water to the boil and boil the pasta
- Meanhwile, fry the tofu or chicken-style pieces (the latter with a teaspoon of liquid smoke). When done, remove from the frying pan and set aside.
- Fry the quartered and then sliced zucchini in olive oil, with salt and ample black pepper and herbs
- When the zucchini is nicely browned, add first the spinach, and then the peas
- Pour the cream over the vegetable and let simmer.
- Add the tofu/chicken-style pieces again to the sauce, drain the pasta and add these as well.